ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
Ideally situated at the head of the river Orwell and 12 miles from the open sea, the Port of Ipswich is within a short sailing time from the North Sea shipping lanes and handles around 2 million tonnes of cargo each year.
The Purpose of the role is to assist with and complete electrical maintenance, repair and installation works in line with the Company's quality standards prior to test/inspection by the Engineering Supervisor.
The role will involve working alone under instruction and in coordination with other trades, to meet the production plan. The role will involve working accurately from technical drawings and written instruction.
To work to the six pillars and visions and values held by ABP, in a Beyond Zero health and Safety culture.
- Assist by working alongside skilled professionals in carrying out maintenance and repairs to all electrical component parts of plant and equipment, with the exception of high voltage work
- Attend breakdowns / emergency situations in order to carry out all necessary repairs, reporting root cause of breakdown as required.
- Reads, interprets, and executes drawings, schematics, blueprints, and electrical code specifications to see layout of commercial electrical equipment and installations
- Tests electrical and equipment and parts for continuity, current, voltage, and resistance
- Installs, repairs, or replaces AC/DC motors and drives , transformers, motors, starters, relays, electrical controls
- Installs repairs, or replaces electrical wiring, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, lighting, and alternative electrical parts
- Do preventative maintenance and testing of electrical systems (including power distribution equipment)
- Installs electrical circuits, as well as panels, conduit, protecting devices, switches, and equipment required to accommodate the 17th Edition wiring regulations.
- Works on electrical failures and replaces components wherever production time is often affected.
- Corrects connections and wiring on equipment controls.
- Effectively carries out reporting, record-keeping and handover procedures with regard to all maintenance activities, including manual & IT reporting processes
- May install, maintain and calibrate industrial equipment and connected devices
- Ensure that all work is carried out in compliance with standards and procedures of Industry:
- External (HSE regulations, legislation and guidance).
- Internal (ABP's risk assessments, safe systems of work and Health, Safety and Environmental policies).
- Maintain tools and equipment to a satisfactory condition, reporting any defects
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 4 GCSE's A*-C (including English, Maths and Science)
- Desire to learn and undertake training / qualifications to succeed
- Good communication skills at all levels
- Proven experience of working within a team environment
- Ability to follow instructions with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable level of awareness of self and others to concentrate in a safety critical engineering environment
- Be open and honest
- Problem-solving skills
- Full UK Driving Licence (car) or intention of obtaining
- Previous work experience gained in an Engineering based Industry
- NVQ Level 2/3 in maintenance in an applicable trade
- IOSH health and safety certificate
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.