This is an entry level role with no expectation of previous tax experience as a high level of internal and external training is provided. The Tax Apprentice will operate in all areas of the business advisory group on a rotation basis for the first three years.
The Tax Apprentice will be expected to achieve the AAT Level 2 qualification in accounting and the US Enrolled Agent qualification by the end of their third year of the program. The Tax Apprentice generally will then work towards the ATT and CTA qualifications in tax, but if there is a strong interest and desire to work in accounts and audit, there will be an opportunity to continue working towards more advanced levels of the AAT qualification.
The Tax Apprentice Program has opportunities for advancement, depending on performance.
- Preparing tax returns, including gathering financial data and related documents and communications.
- Assisting with estimated tax calculations and payments, including gathering financial data, entering data into workpapers, and preparing reports.
- Performing tax related research as required, using the available software.
- Assisting with tax notices and penalties, including making calls to HMRC and the IRS and preparing responses on behalf of clients.
- Assisting in maintaining client documentation by ensuring relevant emails and documents are properly saved in the document management system.
- Assisting with tax payments.
- Assisting in audit issue investigations when required.
- Supporting internal and external audit jobs.
- Attending scheduled training, both external and internal, and completing all related assignments.
- Preparing support files for tax returns, packaging returns for filing, and performing other support functions as needed.
During your employment, you will undertake your AAT, the Enrolled Agent and your ATT (with potential to go on to study for the CTA).
- Maths A-Level
- Microsoft office experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organised and analytical approach
- An eye for detail and accuracy
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly numerical and able to interpret data
- IT literate