Advanced Apprenticeship in Business Administration (Level 3)
The UK's National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. One of the top three National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) in the world, we now have a regional presence and strategic relationships with Surrey and Strathclyde Universities. Our expertise and original research have benefited UK citizens and the UK economy for over a century.
We are committed to inspiring the next generation and following on from the recent successes with our first cohort we are now looking for candidates for our Business Administration apprenticeship.
Providing project support and general administrative duties within a busy and innovative laboratory, in this role apprentices will gain a good understanding of all aspects of business administration. To undertake a work based training programme and work towards a City and Guilds Level 3 QCF Diploma in Business and Administration. Apprentices will be given the opportunity to rotate around the different divisions and placements will be available in our Communications team, Business Development, IT or one of our Project Offices which will give the apprentice lab-wide experience.
Completion of the apprenticeship would be expected within 14 months.
Duties may include:
- Analysis and reporting of data
- Production of spreadsheets
- Support on the preparation, planning, running and evaluation of projects
- Use of Microsoft Office to format and present documents/presentations
- Diary management using Microsoft Outlook and booking meeting rooms
- Planning and organising events
- Organisation of business travel and accommodation
- Monitoring and resolution of customer service problems
- Coordination of the planning and organisation of meetings
- Recording and monitoring of costs
- Preparation of meeting agendas and attendance at meetings
- Preparation of team member schedules
- Data management
- Maintaining gantt charts
- Liaising with customers both internally and externally
- Management of online filing systems
- Researching and collating of information
- Recommending process improvements
- Processing invoices
- Any other administrative tasks as requested
Other responsibilities will include:
- Adherence with all company processes and procedures including health and safety, data protection and equality and diversity
- Demonstrating a professional and courteous attitude
- Successful completion of the Diploma in Business and Administration
- Becoming a Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador, this involves being an outreach ambassador for NPL and will see you participate in careers events.
Apprentices will need to be socially and emotionally mature enough to work in a fast paced and professional business environment. The apprentice will need to demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills with clear spoken and written English.
The apprentice will have good team working skills, and be able to work as part of a laboratory team. They will be cooperative and flexible and be able to maintain professional relationships with colleagues and external customers earning their trust and respect. The apprentice will have an interest in business and administration and be willing to learn new skills. They will have strong analytical skills, great attention to detail.
The apprentice will have good time management skills and be keen to deliver work in a timely and accurate manner. All aspects of their work will need to be delivered to the highest quality without exception and so the ability to plan and organise their daily tasks will be essential.
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s, grades A-C (or predicted grades). These must include ICT, English and Maths.
- An AS or A-Level would be an advantage but is not essential
- A professional and mature approach to work
Strong interest in:
- Gaining employability training
- Gaining Business and Administration knowledge and skills
- Be a UK resident
- Live within a commutable distance to Teddington
Apprentices are also offered training to improve their communication skills, time management, help build on their team working and present effectively.
They will also receive Mindfulness training as part of their apprenticeship.
Apprentices entering into this role will need to practise their work within Standard Operating Procedures and comply with all policies and procedures applicable to their role. This particular role will also require the individual to meet the academic and vocational elements of the apprenticeship framework, attending where possible all lectures, exams and observations.
The training element of this apprenticeship will be delivered by our training provider Richmond upon Thames College via online lectures and/or recorded lectures, work-based learning via completion of task books as well as work-based assessments. Study time will be allocated for online lessons and activities. Note that no tutors would come to NPL however; our Richmond College assessor would meet with apprentices and managers every 8-10 weeks to check progress against syllabus.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant, free parking and our own sports and social club.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Supporter.